Finally the time is here that we have all been waiting for: Copperwood Tavern is now open at One Loudoun! Copperwood Tavern is a one of a kind farm-to-table restaurant that is well loved among residents of NoVA (the original and only other location is in Shirlington, VA). Within only a few days of the restaurant opening, we knew we had to try it!
As we walked up to the restaurant, we couldn’t help but admire the exceptionally large patio area! Since it was a dreary day outside, we didn’t want to test Mother Nature, so we opted for a table inside.
As soon as we walked in, we realized that Copperwood Tavern couldn’t be a better place to have lunch on a rainy day! The interior of CT is very cozy and looks like the inside of a log cabin – the perfect place to warm up and enjoy a great meal this fall.
The restaurant is complete with flannel-lined booths and log cabin-esque décor, and wouldn’t be a true tavern without a huge stone fireplace and taxidermy deer head mounted above it. With a nod to the restaurant’s name, “copper” is abundant throughout the restaurant, from the pipes on the wall to the water pitchers, and “wood” makes up the walls, tables, and chairs.
Immediately after we sat down, we were presented with the cutest little tin bucket of popcorn. Be warned: after the first bite, you will realize that you may not be able to stop eating it. This stuff is seriously addicting and perfectly coated with butter and a special barbecue seasoning.
As our server promptly greeted us, she made sure to let us know that every item on the menu at CT is organic and farm-to-table. Later, we would find out that this really makes a difference in the taste and quality of the food. If you check out their website at www.copperwoodtavern.com, they even list the local farms where they get all of their fresh produce, seafood, and meat.
Lunch recommendations from our server:
· Apps: Fried Brussel Sprouts, Fried Green Tomatoes
· Soup/Salad: Sweet Yellow Corn Soup, Farmer’s Salad
· Sandwiches: Grilled Rosemary Chicken, Slow Roasted Pork Belly Sandwich
· Entrée: Brown Ale Butter Chicken
· Dessert: Cast Iron S’mores Dip
What we ordered:
· Fried green tomatoes – as someone who has never even had green tomatoes, I wondered if I had been living under a rock because these were amazing. Sliced, fried, salted, and served with a lemon-basil aioli, I could have been content with just these for my meal.
· BALT sandwich – Of course, BALT stands for bacon, avocado, lettuce, and in this case, more fried green tomato, with smoked tomato-chipotle aioli. This sandwich looked so good, we had to pick it up to show all of the layers. And it was very, very good.
· Grilled rosemary chicken sandwich – The menu says, “Rosemary marinated chicken topped with smoked Gouda cheese, bib lettuce, maple mustard, bacon and tomato,” but it should say “the most succulent chicken sandwich you’ve ever had.”
Copperwood Tavern also serves Brunch on the weekends from 9am-4pm, which is one of the longest running brunches we have heard of – perfect for avid brunchers. On more than one occasion, we’ve been told that the duck hash is the way to go for brunch. If you wander into CT for dinner, you will see that their dinner menu has a large selection of entrée options including locally sourced seafood and meat.
As you can see in the photo above, Copperwood Tavern also has a huge bar area, with a large lineup of bourbons and local draft beers that lend a hand to the cabin-like feel. Additionally, the actual drink menu is a long list of handcrafted cocktails, bourbon, beer, wine, and moonshine; yes, moonshine. We couldn’t decide on a beer, so our server was kind enough to bring samples of a few! Other cool things that you need to know about CT include their Dog of the Month contest and $1 Oyster Hour from 4pm-7pm Monday-Friday.
Our recommendation: Go to Copperwood Tavern for a great meal, drink, or both! Make your reservations now at http://www.opentable.com.